Intellectual property is just that — property.
And like any asset, IP can be the subject of various contracts and agreements that share or transfer property rights and generate revenue. Inventors, startups, OEMs, research institutions, investors, suppliers, and distributors involved in IP development and commercialization need IP counsel who can efficiently secure patent, copyright, and trademark rights. They also need lawyers who can negotiate and execute transactions that mitigate risk and improve ROI. That’s why they turn to JMIN.
IP transactions require three kinds of knowledge: legal, technical, and business. JMIN attorneys bring BigLaw experience to the negotiation table, helping clients navigate even the most complex deals and protect their interests. Our people also have technical and scientific backgrounds with masters and doctoral degrees and real-world work experience in traditional and emerging technologies. But it’s not enough to know how to do deals and understand the subject matter; we understand the critical business considerations clients must address and help them make practical decisions that speak to their balance sheets and bottom lines.
We Get IP Deals Done
Our transactional know-how covers the entire IP lifecycle, from ideation to disposition, including:
- Research and development agreements.
- Technology transfers.
- Collaborations, joint ventures, and joint works agreements.
- In-licensing and out-licensing.
- Co-promotion, outsourcing, manufacturing, and supply contracts.
- Formation of IP holding companies and other entities.
- Non-compete agreements and restrictive covenants.
- Trade secret protection agreements.
- Strategic brand management.
- Trademark and copyright protection.
- Cross-border IP transactions.
JMIN represents individual, nonprofit, and academic clients, as well as venture capital funds, investment bankers, and financial institutions. We help them initiate, negotiate, and close the full array of IP transactions, ultimately boosting their cash flow, increasing liquidity and profitability, and maximizing overall IP value. Whether the client is a global giant, garage inventor, or fast-growth mid-market company seeking to go “next level,” we know how to safeguard opportunities to ensure their IP works for them now and into the future.
Clients sometimes engage JMIN to advise on IP aspects of more significant corporate transactions where in-house counsel or another firm leads the negotiation. No matter our place in the lineup, we draw from our extensive IP expertise to best position the client before, during, and after the deal.
JMIN’s deal support services include:
- IP due diligence for mergers, acquisitions, divestitures, and spinoffs.
- IP due diligence for private equity and venture capital investments.
- Patent portfolio evaluation and strategy.
- Patentability and patent validity opinions.
- Non-infringement opinions.
- Freedom to Operate Opinions.
Because of our virtual business model and lean operations, we’re often more cost-efficient, agile, responsive, and mission-focused than other firms our size and bigger.