Patent prosecution is fundamental to IP law and practice.
Our sought-after team of patent attorneys and agents knows the domestic and international patent process inside and out. Clients depend on our deep bench, technical ability, and premium advice on patents and patent families to reshape their industries and create new markets.
JMIN is a recognized leader and resource for patent prosecution, development, overarching IP strategy, and knowing what each client requires to achieve distinct objectives. Our people are as excited about our clients’ innovations as they are. We have collectively prepared and prosecuted tens of thousands of patents, including several of the most sophisticated discoveries across traditional and cutting-edge technological and scientific arts.
Areas of Patent Expertise
Our patent lawyers, patent agents, and scientific advisors are well-versed in several technological disciplines:
- Aerospace & Avionics
- Agricultural Chemicals
- Analog & Digital Electronics
- Biomedical Science
- Biopharmaceutical Manufacturing
- Business Methods
- Cancer Biology
- Chemical Engineering
- Computer Architecture
- Computer Modeling
- Computer Software
- Drug Delivery Systems
- Electrical Engineering
- Financial Services
- Green Technology
- Industrial Chemical Processes
- Linear Regression & Machine Learning
- Material Science
- Mechanical Engineering
- Medical Devices
- Microelectromechanical Systems
- Military Technologies
- Mobile Communications & Payments
- Molecular Biology
- Molecular Genetics
- Oil Drilling
- Open-Source Licensing
- Optical Systems
- Organic Chemistry
- Semiconductor Lasers
- Semiconductor Materials
- Semiconductor Processing
- Software Licensing & Contracts
- Stem Cell Biology
- Transgenic Plants and Crops
- Veterinary Science
Comprehensive Patent Representation
We advise on patents at the vanguard of discovery and ingenuity, including making determinations that demand heightened legal analysis and robust scientific and technological acuity and fluency. With a focus on immediate and future monetization, our comprehensive patent counsel includes:
- Immersing ourselves in the research, development, and application of every invention.
- Working directly with inventors to determine what is distinct and patentable.
- Selecting appropriate patent-claiming strategies.
- Advising on international patent filing decisions and procedures around the world.
- Complying with U.S Patent & Trademark Office (USPTO) and international agency regulations.
- Structuring business invention programs, policies, and protocols.
- Assisting with the many moving parts of ongoing patent portfolio management.
Our experienced lawyers and professionals have served as IP counsel to several of today’s established companies, emerging businesses, and leading-edge universities and research institutions. We write patents for even the most novel and distinct methods and life-altering discoveries. We know the intricacies of international patent filing tactics around the globe, including those established under the European Patent Office or the Patent Cooperation Treaty.
At JMIN, innovation and the patent prosecution process are where your opportunity begins. We deliver the ongoing, critical legal advice and conversations you need to succeed today and into the future, whether you are an inventor in need of a patent in the U.S. or Japan or a multinational corporation looking to file across Europe. We will help you advance as far and as high as you want to go in disciplines that range from mechanical engineering to pharmaceuticals and medical devices, diagnostics, and automation to information technology (including artificial intelligence and machine learning, 5G, medical diagnostics and automation) to futuristic semiconductor devices, video encoding, green tech, and the Internet of Things.
Patent Compliance and Counseling
JMIN minimizes clients’ exposure to infringement suits and liability when writing and maintaining patents, including:
- Conducting right‑to‑use studies that identify patents applicable to the client’s technology and assessing their access to the technology because of existing patent rights. Where necessary, we counsel clients on how to avoid or “design around” an existing patent.
- Executing infringement and validity studies, including analyzing patents, prosecution histories, and prior art to determine the scope, novelty, obviousness, and enforceability of patents that might be asserted against our clients.
- Providing opinion letters on the scope, validity, and enforceability of third-party patents.
- Identifying prior art patents, publications, and products relevant to claim construction, infringement, validity, and other patent law issues.
- Scrutinizing compliance with USPTO rules to identify inequitable conduct by a patent owner that may bear on the enforceability of patents at issue.
Patent Portfolio Management
Besides helping to develop strategic patent portfolios comprised of clients’ internally developed technologies, we also advise on making strategic use of each client’s patent portfolio to further their business objectives. Our attorneys evaluate opportunities to acquire third-party technology and patents to supplement clients’ existing portfolios and advise on all related issues involving initial and ongoing patent portfolio management, such as:
- Patentability studies to determine the feasibility and likely scope of patent protection for technologies developed or acquired by clients.
- Advice regarding countries in which to pursue patent or equivalent IP protection, the relevant procedures, and the selection and supervision of foreign patent counsel.
- Monitoring key competitors’ patent and market activity to develop a prior art library, identifying potential in- and out‑licensing opportunities, and anticipating disruptive or breakout technologies.
- Mitigating new product and service launch risks by identifying and clearing potentially obstructive patents.
- Designing and implementing patent programs and policy documentation, including invention disclosure, assignments and confidentiality agreements, procedural manuals, and employment agreements.
- Conducting IP and due diligence audits supporting corporate financing and merger and acquisition opportunities.